Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warrior weapon choices
In researching weapon choices (Sword, Axe, Hammer) for my warrior it seems that the sword is much preferred over the other two choices. Doing some quick math it appears to me the Hammer does the most damage, and (with certain skills) the ability to strike multiple foes. Although the loss of a sheild is a concern. The reason I bring it up is the availablilty of bonus items that were included in the game I purchased. I was provided with:

Sundering Rhinos Charge
Blunt Damage: 19-35 (req. 9 Hammer mastery)
Damage +15% (while Health above 50%)
Armor Penetration +20 (Chance 20%)
Damage +20% (due to customization)

Just wanted some thoughts on the Hammer versus Sword debate. It should be noted that the lvl 11 warrior who would weild this weapon is usually teamed up with a Monk, plus a possible henchman or two. Is it unfair to assume the Monk's healing prowess will make up for the sheild loss?

Beach
I am not the world's most expert warrior player here, despite having multiple PVE warriors. So this is my biased take on things:

Beach Mystic Wrote:In researching weapon choices (Sword, Axe, Hammer) for my warrior it seems that the sword is much preferred over the other two choices. Doing some quick math it appears to me the Hammer does the most damage, and (with certain skills) the ability to strike multiple foes. Although the loss of a sheild is a concern. The reason I bring it up is the availablilty of bonus items that were included in the game I purchased. I was provided with:

While swords have some neat skins, I personally find swords to be lacking when it comes to damage, and favor hammers and axes. I'm not sure which campaigns you have, but if you're Prophecies/GWEN only, I'd highly recommend axes then, as the Prophecies axe skills are the best balanced for that campaign.

Swords - Lower damage, fast attack speed.
Hammers - High damage, slower attack speed. Some people find it too slow for their taste and go to axes and swords instead. I find it more satisfying to smash things.
Axes - Variable damage, same attack speed as swords.

Beach Mystic Wrote:Just wanted some thoughts on the Hammer versus Sword debate. It should be noted that the lvl 11 warrior who would weild this weapon is usually teamed up with a Monk, plus a possible henchman or two. Is it unfair to assume the Monk's healing prowess will make up for the sheild loss?

Beach

Never rely on your monk to do all your healing. Whenever possible, bring your own self-heal along. Henchmen monks don't complain. Player monks will appreciate it.

I like the hammer, myself, for more reasons than one. The ability to cause knockdown, the higher damage, and Dwarven Battle Stance. Did I mention Dwarven Battle Stance? Those pesky spellcasters have a hard time dealing with that particular skill. Most of my Joras use ebon hammer shafts with a dervish secondary for a nice Ebon Dust Aura (blinding). If you don't need tactics for a shield, you can really find some interesting combinations for your warrior that will make other people cry. Especially your opponents, but occasionally your monks. :p
I've spent too much time as a tank, so I guess shedding some light makes it worth while...
jciarda is spot on about swords vs hammers. Hammers will get you that high dmg factor in fewer blows, but it'll take a heck of a lot longer to swing, and you'll lose the defense of a shield (or boost of a focus item). I just use all 3 and switch between them as the mission calls for it.

Hammer - High Blunt Dmg...good for duels or missions that consist of small group fighting.

Axe - Wide Range Slash Dmg...good if your up against large groups of non-slash resistant monsters

Sword - Rounded Slash Dmg...With the exception of the Jitte (which is the only sword to use blunt dmg), the high min dmg helps against would-be slash-resistant monsters. If you're not really sure what to expect in a mission (large vs small numbers, slash resistant vs fleshy hacky fun), the sword can be a trusted weapon.

A poor warrior abandons his best weapons, right? So keep at least 1 max hammer, sword, and axe (and a Jitte if you can find one).

Lastly, any sundering weapon (20% armor penetration) should receive preferential treatment. Oh, and Endure Pain with a good 11 Strength will help buy your monk(s) the time they need to get around to healing you.
Unfortunately, I play my warrior almost exclusively with either a Sundering Charr Sword or a Cruel Celestial Sword so I really can't comment too much on swords vs. hammers. I play with axes too, but not as much.

What I will say is that if you're going for pure Damage Per Second (DPS) a hammer is going to win over a sword, hands down. Max/Min DPS range for a hammer is about 10.9-20DPS, a sword's range is about 11.3-16.5DPS. So, swords are more consistent, but not as powerful as hammers.

When you compare DPS Ratings on Hammers and Axes things kinda get turned on their ear. An axe's Min./Max. range is about 4.5-21DPS vs. a hammer's 10.9-20DPS. So, axes can be stronger, but due to their wide damage range are substantially less consistent than a hammer. Over the course of a battle, you will see better overall DPS from a hammer due to the law of averages.

The overall result is that hammers have the highest average DPS of the 3, but a sword is going have the least variation in the amount of damage dealt, subject to factors outside your control.

Other things to consider are modifiers and off-hands (specifically, shields) which you seem to have thought about a little already. Hmmmm......I've rambled a little too much already, so I'll hold off on that for now.

If you want to compensate for the lack of a shield while using a hammer, try a superior absorption rune and Knight's insignias with a Hammer Grip of Defense (+4-5 armor)
as your other questions are pve based im gona assume this is also, if u want info on the pvp stuff poke me in game or on here.

everyone here has gr8 points, especialy the hammer/axe/sword argument.

in my experiance axe is the best to use at lvl 20. if u dont want the math behind my conclusion stop now.

the reason for that is for every point in a weapon mastery u get a higher chance to score a Critical hit (1% per rank). a Critical hit causes you to hit with your weapons max damage and a rather yummy +.41% of the dmg. so if u would have hit 50 dmg and u score a crit u will do 70ish dmg instead.

i do have a reason i told u all that, not just to confuze the hell out of ya.

so lets assume we are testing 10 seconds of just basic attacks from each weapon.

on a sword and axe u will hit every 1.33 seconds which in our 10 second test is 7-8 times. on a hammer u hit every 1.75 seconds getting 5-6 hits in.

now lets say u did some charity work and karma is catching up with u, causing u to get a crit hit every hit with each weapon .

sword: 31 dmg a hit 7 times = 217 dmg (or 21.7dmg a second)

axe : 48 dmg a hit 7 times = 336 dmg (or 33.6 dps)

hammer: 49 dmg a hit 5 times = 245 dmg (or 24.5 dps)

as u can see the axe clearly comes out on top in this test with a higher damage and the use of a shield. ide also like to point out the chances of u scoreing a crit hit 7 times in a row will not happen so the above figures wont be 100% attainable.

other good points behind each weapon are:

sword: cripple,bleeding and a conditional deep wound. swords can apply a wide variety of conditions to annoy the hell out of your foe.

axe: none conditional deep wound (drool) and the conditional ability to apply other conditions, also the attack skills have very high damage but cost lots of adrenalin.

hammer: the attack skills have CRAZY high damage with knock downs and conditional (usualy they must be KD, hardly difficult with a hammer) deepwound, blind, weakness and other stuff. on the down side, the adrenalin needed is also high.

if u include the damage from attack skills hammers will come out on top, but with out a shield in pve ive found alot of hate coming my way.

hope that helps but i think i went overbored... >_>;;
Hi!
I generally use hammer as weapons because hammer is best than any other. Hammer do more damage than sword and axe. Those pesky spell casters have a hard time dealing with that particular skill. Because of these reason, I like hammer as weapons.
While I agree with the weapon choice suggested, I was wondering about your other statement about haste being bad for arms. I know that Slam creates a 0.5 sec bit of time where haste isn't useful to your auto attacks, but those slams are going to be used regardless of the existence of haste on your gear. That would mean that haste will give you the same increase to your white attacks and rage production as any other spec.
I like your post about warrior weapons choices. According to me i like m4 carbine. It is very good gun. I like its feature. The M4 Carbine is an extremely accurate and effective weapon under all practical field applications

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EotN Norn armour for Warrior female. mdkblackwolf 19 868 09-22-2007, 02:42 AM
Last Post: Melandhrian