Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Adventures of Finnegan o'Ferral #1
Love him or loathe him, I can't stop writing about him.  Here's part 5 of Finnegan's tale, before I take a well earned weekend break:

Part 5

The boat that was trailing us had indeed proved to be displaying the ancient symbols of the Istani Primeval Order that Abora had spoken of.  The sails were dark and foreboding, but the ancient signature of a dark golden-edged sun impaled by a long spear could clearly be seen flapping in the sea breeze as their vessel became larger in our wake.

“These days the Sunspear symbol appears like a compass, with a north pointing spear and two scimitars crossed with their tips pointing north west and north east,” Abora explained to me as I looked out to sea unimpressed.  “The difference between the symbols of the Dynastic Sunspear Guard and the current Order is that only a single spear pointing northwards is seen on this boat’s sail, and the compass is more of a darkened sun, as if eclipsed by a celestial body.”

She continued, “When Sogolon reformed the Sunspears, the three weapons were chosen to symbolise the three states of Elona – Istan, Kourna and Vabbi.  It helped unite the different people of the region, so that they could join together and rebuild from the devastation of the plague.”

“I thought the Sunspears were an Istan army,” I replied, suppressing a yawn.  The sea breeze air and the drawn-out historical topic seemed like too much hard work for my mind to stay alert for.

“Each province has its own marshal force, yes, but the Sunspears are seen as the real elite army that protects the entire regions interests.  They are generally relied upon when a greater common threat to all of Elona arises, such as the rise and fall of Abaddon in recent times.”

“Except these guys, the ones following us are in fact their great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfathers,” I moaned.

“Well,” Abora coughed, “I suppose you could say that.”

We felt our own vessel begin to slow and turn, and additional activity on the decks from the manning crew became evident, as they anchored us into position to meet the other boat.  Slowly the shouts of the crew on the other boat could be heard as their vessel moved into position beside us.  For a brief moment of disquiet I feared that the vessels would suddenly spring cannon’s from their sides and a full scale battle would commence, but my fears were eased when we all caught sight of a smaller transport boat being lowered to sea level down the side of the mysterious vessel by a pulley mechanism.  From my advantage point I could see what appeared to be four people dressed in pure white armor onboard the rowing boat as they began the small journey across the deep water between our ships.

We gathered amongst all the other curious sailors as our mysterious guests were brought onboard.  There was excitement and trepidation mixed across everyone’s faces, and I struggled to see past the throng of the gathering crew as the captain could be heard extending pleasantries with the newcomers.  I finally managed to peer past the hairy shoulder of a rather large seaman, who turned to look at me with an overly fond gap-toothed smile that left me feeling a tad nervous about our close proximity to each other.  Trying my best to politely ignore him, I stared out towards the docking platform of the ship to finally catch sight of our new guests.

Although I didn’t notice it at the time, it was around about that exact moment that I had forgotten to remember to breathe.  Or blink, for that matter.  All I could do was stop and stare and gape.

Of the four newcomers, three of them were tall, broad muscular men wearing pure white armor around their chests.  Each of them stood side by side and you could have mistaken them for an impenetrable marble wall as they stood proud and alert next to the fourth member of their group.  They were all dark in complexion, with their alert blue eyes peering out from underneath winged helms.   Their underlying tunics came to above the knees and their uniforms were completed with plated sandals.  They looked like guardians of heaven, and a great hum of interest broke out amongst the watching crowds.

But my attention towards the men was rather brief, once I caught glimpse of the fourth member of the group, the female. She was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen.  She was easily as tall as the men, with her dark sable hair sweeping down beside her sharp bronzed face; with protective plates of angelic white across her broad, balanced shoulders; with magnificent gold and white chest armor that beheld the most heavenly bust I had ever seen; with a shining silk tunic draped over a pair of the longest, sun-kissed legs I had ever had the pleasure to witness; with a pair of high heeled boots and white leather wraps that held her aloft like a messenger of the gods; and with the most soul-searching brown eyes that somehow burrowed into my heart and released a mass of fluttering, frenzied birds.

The sensation of my mouth turning dry reminded me that I should really close it and gulp but I was totally captivated by the woman’s allure.  I still hadn’t blinked.  I daren’t, in case she disappeared.

“Thank you for allowing us to board your vessel to speak to you,” the woman spoke to the captain.  Her luscious lips sang the words like a lost siren’s melody.  “We are on a mission of the gravest importance and would not have delayed your journey if it had not been absolutely necessary for us to do so.”

“Yer welcome me lady,” the captain stumbled over his words.   “’Tis not everyday we are intercepted by…the dynastic order?”

The three men in white armor bristled slightly and turned to look at their female leader with concern, but she smiled politely back at the captain without a change in her serene expression.  “I am sure this is an unexpected surprise to you, good captain.  This is indeed the first time in our recent history that my people have needed to make contact with those of the mainland.  My name is Xeraphene, and my colleagues are Halxion, Mephista and Astran.  We are keepers of the Hidden Order.”

There was a huge outbreak of gasps and cries of acknowledgment from the mob of sailors around us as they nodded and whispered comments to each other.  The level of intrigue spread throughout the group, and I heard several uses of the words ‘ancient treasure’ mentioned nearby.

As the whispers and mumbles slowly quietened, the captain politely asked the question that was on everyone’s lips.  “Ye are a myth, are ye not?”

“We are quite real,” Xeraphene answered with seriousness.  “You speak to a direct ancestor of Queen Nadijeh.”

The captain’s face grew stark white as he came to realise he was in mid-conversation with bloodline related to the primeval dynasty itself and he shakily dropped to his knees, his eyes wide and focussed with great respect on Xeraphene.  One by one the soldiers nearby also dropped to the deck in respect and I found myself doing the same, awe struck by the woman’s appearance as she swept her eyes over the kneeling crowd.

“My lady,” the captain choked as he humbly looked up at the magnificent woman standing before him.  “For what does my ship and I owe this honor to be graced by yer legendary presence?”

There was complete silence but for the slapping of the waves and the distant shriek of gulls out at sea as Xeraphene surveyed her audience with harmonious patience.  She smiled as, one by one, she gazed into the eyes of each and every man until she finally came to look into my own.  I felt a surge of warmth within my chest as she lingered her attention over me, and I felt time freeze as I looked back into her dark, mysterious beauty.

Her angelic voice finally broke the silence, “I am looking for a man called Finnegan o’Ferral.”

I froze.

One by one each of the sailors broke their hypnotized gaze from the woman before them to turn their heads and stare with confusion towards me.  Dozens of pairs of eyes swivelled in surprise and focused on my kneeling, shaking form as Xeraphene and the three proud, iconic men at her side looked directly my way just as I came to realise that my mouth was still hanging wide open, my tongue was still dry and loose in my mouth and my unblinking eyes were still focussed entirely on Xeraphene’s magnificent bust.

I finally remembered to close my mouth and take a long overdue gulp.

Xeraphene seemed to float closer with anxious interest.  “You,” she commanded, as she approached to address me.  The sailors nearby shuffled out of the way to grant a clear path to my location.  I sprung into a standing position, as if her powerful words had manipulated some celestial strings that were attached to my limbs, hoisting me to stand upright before her.  Even my pupils snapped from their current angle of view as I felt compelled to look directly back into her overwhelming eyes.  I felt naked as she swept her eyes up and down my erect stance.

“You are Finnegan o’Ferral?”  She questioned.

I gulped as I let out an embarrassing squeak.  “I am.”

“The same Finnegan o’Ferral who masterminded the trade contracts between the Canthan Empire and the Amnoon Tribes, who helped repel the Grawl invasion of Ascalon’s Serenity Temple, who challenged and defeated the notorious Highwayman of Beetletun, who herded the Caromi from the trade routes of North Kryta, and who uncovered the assassination attempt on Quarrymaster Baneos by the outcasts of Rhea’s Crater?”

I felt my pride return as I came to realise this beautiful angel before me had heard of my past exploits.

“The very same,” I beamed.

Xeraphene’s perfect brow wrinkled as she paused to look me up and down once more, and with the frown still evident on her face her eyes analysed me with curiousity.

Her soothing voice was tainted with a twang of disappointment. “I had imagined you to be….bigger.”
very nice! let's hope there's another chapter on the other side of the weekend!

and he's big where it counts! like heart! >.>
LoL... I wonder how Evette feels :p

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Adventures of Indigo Montari- Beyond The Shadow Indigo 12 632 02-25-2008, 02:41 AM
Last Post: Indigo