Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pendaran's Mesmer 101 for PvE
Hey Bedo,

If you copy the string to your clipboard and paste it into Notepad then you can save the .txt file to a folder (usually C://Program Files/Guild Wars/Templates/Skills). Save the .txt file with a name you will recognise (i.e. Mesmer FC Build). Once this is done you should be able to load it through the Skills Template (Hotkey:K) window in-game (the floppy disk icon that appears in the top left corner).

Hope that makes sense.
Another way to save build codes. Open skills and attributes[k] and click the blue icon next to your profession. Choose Template Code. Paste the string of build code into the Template Code line and type a desired name into the Template Name. Click save. You can also load the build at that point and make your own personal adjustments to it before saving it.
He thanks guys. Gonna try it out in a minute!
WHat do you do with the DN in the UW build?
By DN I think you mean deadly nightmares? There's a number of strategies for this. For instance, in an area where I have some breathing room, say the entry area, I'll scout around and try to pop any nearby nightmares. When I hear the telltale growl or see the red dot on my bubble, I do 'c' and power return to catch the first strip. It's invariably the first thing they cast. I then IW them to death.

If I'm not fast enough or I get more than one, I'm still usually okay since I can put PS back up and just kill them. If I get stripped with all those monk enchantments on me anyhow, the nightmare dies automatically.

Now the bad part is when they pop while I'm in combat. I die in this case. Stripping kills the bugger, but because my trusty ranger friend has rebirth, they can come fetch my corpse, then use res chant to get me back on my feet.

To avoid nightmares while in combat, I'll pull my prey into areas I know are nightmare free. Once the monsters are dead, I'll then do a quick stomp over the cleared area to ensure any nightmares that are there pop so I don't get nasty surprises later.

The beauty of this build is that if you die, you just change clothes and go back out and kill some more. With death one, I can focus switch to my Life is Pain Chakram and be a 33 Mesmer, which is even more invincible thant 55. Sometimes when I'm doing 55, I'll deliberately die once to get my health lower.
AWesome Thanks
As an addendum since GWEN came out, there are a couple builds it might be fun for mesmers to know about.  First, several skills were buffed considerably over the last couple months.  Power Spike is definitely worth revisiting on a dominator's bar since it's now very cheap and recharges reasonably quickly for a large burst of damage.  Drain Enchantment not only returns energy, it also offers a little healing - which is rare in the mesmer line.

The most exciting change for me is Signet of Illusions.  Since I wrote the guide, SoI has been improved so that a single use effects three spells. In addition, PvE only skills are effected in interesting ways by SoI.  Crank your illusion up to 16 one day and see what happens when you cast Ether Nightmare (kurz/luxon) on a group of mobs with SoI engaged - you will see everything in a large area degening at -8.

But that's not all - remember SoI effects spells - and monster summoning skills such as Vanguard Assassin are SPELLS.  As a mesmer, you are now the only class that can cast that spell twice with arcane echo and with SoI make them both level 21.  This has been known for a while, but something this amusing gets out fast.  I have to thank Army for it.  

A fun build you can use to kill charr or cheese the Bison tournament quickly:

SoI Double Assassin
OQBDAZwTSCV2k7iLBQBjOEBoAA

The assassins last twice as long if their target are charr so it's possible sometimes for a fast recharge or boss death to allow you to have more than two in play.  It's also hilariously funny.

As an added benefit, when the assassins die in combat, they leave exploitable corpses for your MM.

Mesmer Holy Signets
OQNEApMT68YSQJ1TrvLh6/AkJA
Another useful thing you can do with a mesmer is kill undead.  Really, you say.  Well, fast casting effects signet speed and another handy skill that makes signets recharge faster is also in the mesmer line.  Now that we have a few more smite skills since GWEN, I permanently keep Norgu kitted up with artificer's armor.  Best of all -- a signet user doesn't use much energy so they can just keep going and going.

With GWEN's addition of smite conditions and castigation signet, this is a winner.  Not only is this build doing a ton of damage to the undead, it's also supporting the party with hex and condition removal.  Another variation I've run on occasion is to use my pool of left over energy to run succor on my party's monks. Alternatively, you could also maintain Balthazar's Spirit on a warrior for fast adrenaline and energy recovery. Use an inspiration mask to get mantra of inscriptions up to the point where the signets come back in half the time.

It really shines in Desolation where spells get blocked.  Signets activate, they aren't cast, so they can cut right through Vow of Silence and Spell Breaker.
Hey I missed this update earlier..

Thanks again Pendaran these builds have been very useful for me. Too bad i don't have nightfall on my main account. I've seen some interesting builds with SoI.
My next character will most likely be a Mesmer!

Aside from the builds you posted, one that has greatly called my attention is the Thief. Maybe you should add it to your guide. :]